Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curb Returns Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

castiglian

Civil/Environmental
Jan 7, 2003
US
Hello anyone I was working for projects in a city with a very flat Existing ground and they have requirements from the American Dissabilities Association for not excedding slopes on curb returns with Handicaps ramps more than 2%
Now I'm working in a city with hills everywhere.. and I found very hard to make on returns to percent.. the city even know this rule , but I want to make it right for good dessign!

Thanks any help will be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I beleive the 2% criterion is for cross-slope. That should not be too hard to meet.

Teh max longitudinal slope is usually 8%. On the uphil side of intersetions, even that can be hard to meet. I beleive NYSDOT sets an upper limit of 8 feet.

To see the actual US federal "guidelines" (but they are often enforced as regs) go to
Hope this helps!

I believe the crossfall slope you refer to is 2%. That is fairly standard, but greater should be discouraged due to problems pedestrians will have when condidtions are not favourable. Insofar as the general profile, hills are hills, and in cases where the grade exceeds 6%, wheelchairs, motorized or not, have difficulties. A hill exceeding 8% is almost a hardship, yet sometimes cannot be avoided. Vancouver, Nelson, Edmonton, Calgary all have hills greater than 8%, and when it is icy, those hills are one way trips, for everyone.

I think, as a designer, if the economics warrant, it is best to design the profile grade as flat as possible. KRS Services

ADAAG 1103.5 states "... the grade of the pesestrian access route within a siderwalk is permitted to be as steep as the grade of the adjoining roadway. The grade can be steeper than the roadway grade where the route slopes less than 1:20 or is treated as a complying ramp."
Trafficpro

There is one caveat to ADAAG 1033.5: Sidewalk meet this criteria only if they are located immediately adjacent to the curb. If the sidewalk is separated from the curb by an unpaved parkway, it is not considered adjacent.
Joe Arteritano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back