Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cured-In-Place-Pipe - Sewer Repair - Cross Post 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imagineer

Structural
Dec 18, 1999
US
Does anyone have experience with CIPP? Our client has a break in a PVC pipe, 9 feet below grade and, unfortunately, 4 below a column footing. I'm hopeing to avoid all of the shoring that would be necessary if we dig. Hence, I'd like to use one of the &quot;pipe within a pipe&quot; solutions.<br>
<br>
Q1) do these work long term?<br>
Q2) does the heat of curing effect the pvc pipe? <br>
Q3) difficulties of installation?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance, <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been using and exposed to CIPP for about 10 years now.&nbsp;&nbsp;Certainly, it is possible.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are now available several types of resins that are used to line PVC sewer laterals, so heat should not be a problem either.&nbsp;&nbsp;One thing to keep in mind is the structural capability of the existing pipe.&nbsp;&nbsp;I.e, why did it fail in the first place?&nbsp;&nbsp;If the CiPP repair is to be a structural repair, that will affect the thickness of the bag. <br><br>It used to be that you would have to line from access to access point, I.e., manhole to manhole, but now there are sectional point repairs that can line a small section.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Be careful, as there are now many players in the field.&nbsp;&nbsp;look at experience and dont forget to consider loss of diameter and structural capability of the repair.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would start with a search on INSITUFORM as they are the original product in the US.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Thanks and update,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;We have talked to InSituForm and Inliner.&nbsp;&nbsp;Because we are going around one 90 bend and cannot make it to another manhole,i.e. blind shotting, InSituForm has bowed out.&nbsp;&nbsp;In order to get to the next manhole we would have to go through another 90 bend.&nbsp;&nbsp;All three of the companies to which we have talked have said that they can't do (2) 90 bends in such a small diameter pipe (8 <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Oops,&nbsp;&nbsp;Part of the post got deleted.&nbsp;&nbsp;Continuing...<br><br>All three of the companies to which we talked said that they can't do (2) 90 bends in an 8&quot; pipe.&nbsp;&nbsp;It would seem that this can't be the first situation requiring a 90 bend. Is the problem the small diameter of the pipe?<br><br>TIA, <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back