Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curly ATA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

macoovacany

Feb 3, 2002
AU
This question is a bit off engineering, but maybe interesting none the less.
The Beechcraft Baron has an "aft cabin door ajar" warning light. Where do you think that this should appear in the ATA code?
a) 52 : Doors
b) 33 : Lighting
c) 31 : Indicating and recording systems

Have fun.

Timbo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cyril,
I disagree. A warning light is for monitoring malfunctions. I would put it into Chapter 31: indicating and recording systems.
K.

Good point here Kasper. I didn't thought about that. Does section 33 include all sort of lightnings or only "usefull" lightning (I mean lamps and lights like this, not indicating lights or monitoring lights)?

Cyril Guichard
Mechanical Engineer

Hi,

I saw some manuals of Beechcraft and Piaggio. Both companies put their door warning system-schematic (according with ATA) in chapter 52 (Doors) with referenced informations to other chapters (20,24,25,36,53 or others) depending on their designs solutions.

Regards
Fernando

Hi,

I think it will appear in different chapters, depending what you want to know about it:

As a light (the assy), ATA 33
As it is part of a door warning system, ATA 52
If it has links with the main warnin system ATA 31.

And there is a couple of other important things:

1. Not all the manufacturers follow ATA chapterizacion (large transport category aircraft should)

2. In different aircrafts, the same thing could be in different chapters.

3. Within the same model, using differnt manuals (Maintenace Manual, Wirings, IPC, etc) you could find the same thing in different chapter. One of the best examples are the lights... For IPC purposes they are "light bulbs and palstics"(33) but for Wirings they are part of the "door warning system"(52)

Bye,
LM

The Beech Baron is older than the ATA system. I bet the original books from Beech used their own numbering system. If they were updated at some point, then there could be a considerable mess in putting things in their right "spot". The Baron is out of production, so changing the books to ATA would be an intellectual exercise at best from Beechcraft's point of view. It would have no impact on their own design/manufacturing/assembly process.
I work on Twin Otters, which also pre-dates the ATA numbering system. Some operators still have the old parts books kicking around! There are lots of miscellaneous things in ATA 53 "fuselage".

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back