Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current 180 degrees out of phase with Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghandler

Electrical
May 31, 2006
AU
Gents,

Little help please. Currently investgiating some intermittant faults on a server room distribution board. At the moment the UPS systems kick in and out randomly as a result of suspected voltage fluctuations.

To check our supply we monitored the supply to the board with a power quality meter and found from looking at the phasor diagram the whilst blue and yellow pahse had current slightly leading voltage blue phase was 180 degrees out of pahse with the voltage.

We suspect it may be due to a neutral fault but would like some back up.

Has anyone come accross this or from theory suppose what is the problem other then a neutral fault?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Was the current sensor installed on that wire backwards?

The only thing I can add is that one of my rules of thumb is the following:

When everything looks crazy, start checking the continuity of the return lines.

As I understand your information, look for an inverter with the leads swapped. As I understand the information, it sounds like a transformer in a 3 phase bank with X1 and X2 swapped.
respectfully

What is the operating voltage 120/240 or 120/208 is this a single phase or three phase system or a European voltage system.

Guys found the problem. Apparently the electrician DID have the sensor backwards. Most embarrasing but it does happen....

Apologies to all.

Your hint should have been when you noticed that the other two legs had leading (not lagging) power factor and the third as you said was 180 degrees out of phase. You know that you are measuring it wrong.

Don't feel bad, I get about 10% of my measurements hooked up backwards the first time even though I try to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back