Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current test switch burden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downstream

Electrical
Jan 16, 2003
US
Does anyone have any test data for the burden of a FT-1 current test switch? I am trying to do a burden calculation for a CT circuit with 2 relays and 3 FT-1 test switches in the circuit. I am going to use .1 ohm per test switch and that to include the termination contact resistance but don't want to be to low or to high.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds really high to me. One hundred feet of #10 AWG is about 0.1 ohms. If you have a Low Resistance Ohmmeter, you could put about 50 amps through one and measure it. I'd expect something less than 0.01 ohms. I've never run across anyone who included this in burden calcs, FWIW.

A competitor to ABB FT switch (Secucontrol.com) lists their FT compatible switch having a contact resistance less than or equal to 2 milli ohm.

I found this article on the burden of test switches indicating the resistance/burden of the FT-1 test switches should be considered. See page 17 of the artictle. If this is true, I don't know why the manufacturers don't put in this information into the specs on their test switches.

It was by secure control
"Test Blocks, Plugs, and Probes – or When
the Dynamo Meets the Integrated Circuit"
David R. Blair
BHP Energy Solutions, Ltd.

I think the author is trying to sell something. Obviously there is some resistance. Smallgreek's reference of .002 ohms seems reasonable to me. Don't forget to add in the resistance of the crimp connectors, and adjust for high ambient temperature on the hottest day the installation will ever experience.

If neglecting this impedance was creating actual problems with CT saturation and burden error, I think the issue would be known and practicing engineers would be including it.

It's generally accepted practice to ignore the test switch resistance, as it's almost always dominated by the lead's resistance.

I formerly worked for a company that made test switches and did some informal testing that showed an average of around 1-2 milli-ohms per circuit (meaning 2 test switches) and this included all of the crimp connectors, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back