Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current Transformers for power analyzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handasee

Electrical
Apr 11, 2003
CA
I would like to purchase some new current transformers for a metrosonics(Avo/Megger) PA-9 power analyzer. Problem is that this analyzer like most others have manufacturer specific plugs on them, and their pricing seems very high. Is there an adapter that will enable me to use another suppliers current transformer with my analyzer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. A lot of these probes are really transducers, producing a millivolt output proportional to current.

We used to buy ours from Flex-core, but I haven't bought anything for a while. Pomona should have adapters to deal with the connectors issues in most cases, although I'm not really familiar with the new stuff on the market.

Handasee, I am curious, as to whether there is some frequency related accuracy of the CT's. I mean, if we are investigating power quality, maybe there are higher frequencies that we want to measure accurately also. Perhaps to 83rd for harmonics. What about rogowski coils?

Modula2: Your reference to rogowski coils forced me to do my homework. Turns out that the the probes I have(Ampflex) are based on the rogowski coils.
The PA-9 analyzer can measure up to the 63rd harmonic, so higher frequencies are not a concern.
A new question has just entered my mind.
Ampflex (rogowski coils) installation instructions specify that: the conductor is centered within the measuring loop
and that the measuring loop forms a perfect circle.
My question is: If the conductor is not centered within the loop, what is the change in accuracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back