Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

curve to points

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak762

Automotive
Dec 5, 2001
NO
I have got curve with help Curve Through Free Points
Can I get only points in order to create curve or spline by manual. Or convert present curve to points.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solidworks doesn´t do that. You cannot convert a spline to points, or join points to a spline. What you can do is enter with programming. Make a search in the net for macros.
I hope that helps.

I'm not sure what the actual queston is here,

you can bring in a curve through free points using x,y,z coordinate points from a spreadsheet.

you can convert a spline into equal points if you so need to. For instance if a made a spline with 5 control points and I wanted to break that spline into 20 points, yet still have the control points in tact. This is an API function that you have to write a macro for, I have one if you need it. The only thing I have not been successful with at the moment is making those points update when I change the spline. working on this!

Did i answer the right question? LOL
It's too early in the morning!

Regards,
Jon Benavides
Fisher Unitech
Troy MI

In Solidworks, there is an icon called "Split Curve" you can find this under the "Sketch Tools" Toolbar. This icon does exactly like it says it will split the curve or spline for you.

There is an Excel program, that you can use to make a spline through free points using x,y,z coordinates. I have never used it, but I believe I seen it at the SW website under their Model Library or
I hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

Thank you guys for concern in my question
Fortunately I have other software such Mastercam there I convert ASCII points and edit it. After I create curve as I want then Import to SW. If you will have a time visit and see me at
By the way Mr. Jon Benavides could you send me macro that you mentioned earlier about break spline. I'll try to play with it.

You're welcome,

Yes, i will send you the macro when I get into work this morning.

And to Scott, yes SW has the split curve functionality but you have to manually pick your point locations. The way i am describing will mathmatically break the line into equal sections independant of it control points.

Like i was saying though, its not perfect because I havent figured out a way to keep the points on the curve if I move one of the control poins, I wind up hvaing to re-run the macro...and to me that is NOT acceoptable. If anyone finds out how to do this and have it update with changes, PLEASE let me know how you accomplished it!

Regards
Jon

John,

I have a spline that was imported from another program and it is not centered about the origin. I need to find out the extents of the spline, break it into equal parts and get the point on the spline with the highest-x value and with the largest y-value. If you could send that macro to me I would love to see it.

Thanks,

Kurt
kurt@sonsoferin.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back