Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curved Alignment on Drawings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozzybear

Civil/Environmental
Jun 9, 2014
US
Hey guys,

I just have a general question about drawings. I have a road with an S-Curve. The existing road was built along a section line, however, it is a local road that was built offset from the section line. At the other end, it is the exact same deal, just offset to the other side.

This gives us two alignments. The section line alignment and the road centerline alignment with the curve.

My question is how would I show this on plans? Do I show both alignments on my paving sheets or do I use a survey sheet to show the bearings and radii of the design alignment?

I know this is more drafting than engineering, but thought this would be a good place to ask.
Crossing_Alignments_vdvxts.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would show both alignments on a survey control sheet as you mention and reference just the design alignment on the paving sheets for clarity (I assume you'll be grey-scaling the existing roadway on the paving sheets).

Will there be a need to reference the old alignment? If the answer is no, just show existing CL of road, and proposed new road alignment. Rarely have I needed to show an existing alignment unless we had to utilize it in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back