Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curved (degenerated) shell elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

peto24ap

Structural
Oct 7, 2014
SK
Hi,

I have written a code for analysis of curved shell structures using Ahmed/Irons/Zienkiewicz degenerated shell element. Now I would like to connect it to a more complex structure with beams and trusses. Degenerated shell elements have 5 degrees of freedom in node (3 translations wrt global axes and 2 rotations around local axes). Typical 3D beam element have 6 degrees of freedom (3 translations and 3 rotations wrt global axes. Is there any way how to connect these elements ? I think that I am missing some transformation matrix that can turn 2 rotations around local axes of shell element to 2 (or 3) rotations around global axes which can be coupled (summed) with rotations of other elements.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your algorithm must perform a number of operations, using the matrix of directional cosines. The full algorithm and its source codes can be found in the following book: "Computational Geometry of Surfaces and Its Application to the Finite Element Analysis of Shells" by O.Axenenko and A.Tsvelikh (the book is available on Amazon.com). The algorithm itself is described on pages 227-231. Actually, the book also contains complete formulas and codes implementing a shell element based on the Kirchhoff-Love theory (and that element is free of shear locking). The authors of the book have a dedicated webpage:

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back