Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curved wall top and bottom plate detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZPE

Structural
Oct 23, 2006
US
At curved walls what have others done for construction/details at top and bottom plates. Typically at the top plates I use (4) 3/4" plywood plates that overlap each other by at least 8" (staggered) and attach them with 8d nails at 4" o.c. staggered then I put a 2x ripped block beneath that for sheathing/drywall attachment which is nailed into the plywood plates with 16d at 6" o.c.

For bottom plates I have had some difficulty justifying using treated plywood plates but have used (2) 3/4" treated plywood plates with similar attachment except 8dx1.5" nails and then again a ripped block nailed to the plywood plate and then have the anchor bolts extend through the blocking and then strap the outside of the curve along the blocking with a Simpson CS16 strap.

What do you think and/or what have you done differently?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AZPE
The problem with that construction is it is usless if the wall is a shear wall. Nailing into the edge of plywood gives you no value and splits the plywood. If it a structural wall you get 18-24" timberstrand rim board and layout the radius as before. Yes it is a pain but it is substantially better that what you described. And yes the sill plate also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back