Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custody metering of Oxygen >10:1 turndown

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveScott

Electrical
Jul 17, 2006
TH
I have a rather expensive problem, and would like to ask for a sanity check.
There is a DN250 oxygen line feeding our plant (it's a Steel plant with Electric arc furnaces), and the existing metering system is Orifice based, with pressure and temperature compensation. The supplier has declared the measurement system to be accurate enough over a 10:1 turndown starting from the peak flow rate of 23,000Nm3/hr. Below the minimum, the flow shall be deemed to be at the minimum. That is, once the supply valve is open, we are charged at 2,300Nm3/hr, whether we use it or not. The trouble is, we often run at 500Nm3 to 1000Nm3/hr when the plant is on standby.
The oxygen pressure is around 20 bar.

I have suggested to the supplier that our company pay for the installation of a better metering system, so that we are more likely to pay for what we use (obviously he is not keen to do this, since now he is making a fine profit...), and to that end, I put forward several coriolis mass flow catalogues. Fortunately for us, the contract has one little line that says we can do this. Their answer was that 'head office' doesn't approve those type of meters for custody transfer, which I thought was 'curious'.

The questions that I would like to put to you are as follows:

What is so wrong with Coriolis measurement, that a major oxygen supplier would refrain from using it? I assume for the time being that the head office is being quoted correctly.

What other metering options/ piping systems are possible?

Of course, we have them checking what options there are, but all the same, I would like to get some parallel comments.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DCS systems are not totalizers. I've had many of customer measurement issues where the customer is using their DCS to totalize. The DCS clock and interuption systems do not allow for proper integration. Always use a standalone totalizer.

As for totalizing when ther is no flow. Gases will thermal syphon in a tube and the dp will see a differntial pressurre while the meter is shut in, that is why there is a Dp cut off.

I agree with dcasto for custody transfer applications. However, I would use the DCS to totalize internal unit or unit to unit measurement within a refinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back