Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Custom Dimension Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate242

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2005
US
Is it possible to create a custom dimension style in Solidworks? We currently have to alter the dimension in order to display the needed info. I would like a format that would include the measured dim, a scale factor, and the dim multiplied by the scale factor. Ideally this would be a style chosen from the "tolerance type" drop down menu. Here's an example:

<dim>
|<-------[ sf ]-------->|
| <dim * sf> |

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

YOu wouldn't need to add a scale factor if you placed the scale either on the drawing or below the view. You can't scale just a dimension on a part/assembly. Besides I would think you would want the views at a certain scale and not jumbled up. That would get hard to read a blueprint IMHO.

Can you explain why you would want the scale factor in wach Dimension?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

The parts are ceramic and the dimension contains the green, sf, and fired dimensions. This allows us to have everything on one print. Currently we have to add the sf and sf*dim on each dim. I didn't set up the format, but it works well for our purpose. So, anyone have any ideas?

The only way I can think of doing this is to create seperate configurations for the green state and then the fired state. Then create a tabulated drawing which calls out the overall dimensions as "A", "B", etc. This is typically how you would create a drawing for this scenario. The table will drive the configurations.

I would probably start by making a design table which is much better to use for this type of design.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.1

The part is made in two configurations, a green and fired. The only difference is the fired is scaled by the sf. Would it be possible to put dimensions from both configurations in the same dimension, along with the sf (it is constant)?

I think you woill have to type it manually.
I would do it same as jksolid. You could also show them as different views on the dwg as XXXX-1 and XXXX-2, or something similar.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

For now, the only thing I can think it's a macro that will read all dimentions in the drawing (lets say, the green dimentions), calculate the fired dimension (sf will be a macro variable) and change each dim text to something like "green dim * sf = fired dim".

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back