Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbruce

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2016
US
Ok I just joined and this is my first post. I am using Draftsight 2015 version and it works fine. I came from Autocad 2010 and I have been a long time AutoCAD user. I had a command on an icon in AutoCAD that did copy and rotate in a single icon. I have found out that Draftsight does not have this ability. Ok, I'll deal with that. I was on the 3Dsym site and it was suggested that you could copy the entity in its original position by selecting the copy command, picking the entity and hitting return 3 times in a row. This would essentially copy the entity on top of it self. Then select the rotate icon and rotate the copy as you would normally. This works fine and I am able to copy and roate an entity.

Here is my rub. I want to enhance a copy icon to do the extra three enters on its own. I just pick the enhanced icon, select the entity and hit enter once. Then I select the rotate icon and rotate the new copy which should be sitting on top of the original. My problem is I can't seem to enhance a copy of the copy command to make the new icon work. I am using the ";" as the return or enter in the command, but all it does is end the command.

Anybody got any suggestions or can provide any help? I like Draftsight and for the most part I have been able to figure out how to get it to do the same things I had tweaked AutoCAD to do so it isn't any bit issue. I just have not been able to figure out how to get custom commands in the icons to work for me.

Thanks,
Gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Gary,

Persevere a little more, DS can do all that AutoCAD can. It might seem a little more convoluted at first but once you get the hang of it it's fine.

I'm at work with AutoCad at the mo so without DS in front of me I can't remember where to start.

Adding new commands is in one part of the options, and putting those commands in tool bars is in another bit.

The ; is enter in DS too, you must have something not right in the macro.

The macro you need is something like this..... *^C^C_select;auto;\_copy;p;;0,0;0,0;_rotate;p;;_cen;\r;_cen;\\ (which copies something around the centre of a circle.)

PICKADD variable needs to be set to 1. (most important)

I think the first bit is what you need, have a play.

Simon.

Ok so first off let me say thank you to Simon for the quick response. Now on to the results.

I tried the code that Simon provided but it didn't work. It may work in AutoCAD, but doesn't seem to work in DS.

Here is the code I used to use in AutoCAD to copy and rotate. ^C^C_SELECT;AU;\_copy;P; 0,0;0,0;_ROTATE;P;;^M;
As you can see it is nearly the same as what Simon proposed. It works great in AutoCAD but doesn't work in DS. In AutoCAD it allows me to select multiple entities to copy and then rotate those entities around a selected pivot point.

Now for the DS workaround. Here is what I got to work in DS sort of. $M=$(if,$(eq,$(substr,$(getvar,GetActCmd),1,4),GRIP),_COPY,^C^C_COPY);\;\;_rotate
This will allow me to select ONE entity only, then rotate it. The way it works is click on the icon, select ONE entity, right click (enter), select the same entity again (which is the copy of the original entity that is sitting right on top of the original entity), right click, select a pivot point, then rotate the copy. It will leave the original where it was and produce a copy at some angle around the pivot point you have specified. so basically it is select entity, right click, select same entity, right click, select pivot point and rotate.

This works but it could work better. If there is anybody out there who can make this command more efficient I would really appreciate the help. Again thanks to Simon for his input. I have no problems making new icons and toolbars and such in DS, but have found that a lot of the commands that I used in AutoCAD for custom icons don't always work in DS.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back