Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom properties in file templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverManhire

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2002
AU
I've recently been setting up some templates to feed data into a custom BOM, for SW 2001. My problem is when I use the templates to make parts the custom properties still refer to the name of the template and not the name of the part that has been saved, hence the cut prop value doesn't work. eg Mass: "SW-Mass@Part.SLDPRT"

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Oliver

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oliver,

I do not think you are doing anything wrong. From my experience, you have to set this type of custom property after you name the part. You could write a macro that would take the name of the part and substitute it for Part.SLDPRT

Regg

I don’t understand the question. If you setup the file properties in any part or assembly, and save it as a template, when you use the template and modify stuff it will update automatically. This also works when you do a “file save as”.

I agree with EdDanzer. When I set up our templates, any time the template was used, the data was automatically saved in the custom properties field that has been specified. The data can then be used in a "part bom" or an "assembly bom". Depending on how the bom file is formatted, some data will only be extracted for the part drawing or the assembly drawing respectfully. I use both the automated mass and file directory in our parts, assemblies and title blocks. I may not be understanding your question completely.

Jay

Oliver,
>Am I doing something wrong?
Possibly. As this works great for most. You can do this thing you want to do. I just needs to be set up properly.

This is right from the sheet format of a .drwdot file of mine.
$PRPSHEET:"MATERIAL"
This updates the drawing with a prop value from the model. Now if you have a drw template that is NOT a .drwdot file then I could see how this is happening. If you want to have cust props update properly. Make/use a drwdot file that has the cust props filled in. Then when making the slddrw that you wish to have your BOM on. Select this template file. Then when you add an ASM your slddrw will update based on the cust props that exsist in the drwdot file. This will also get you out of save as. This way you will be prompted to save the slddrw with a name on first save of the newly created slddrw.

Custom props will do the thing you want. If you have more questions please post. Someone here will be able to help you.

Regards,

Sean F
Mechanical Engineer
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in e-mail

I agree with all of you, although I'm sure I did this for someone else on 2001Plus. Could this be an issue with SW2001 with no service packs? Everything seems right except that SW doesn't update the new file name.

Thanks All

???Oliver???

Oliver,

Actually I have to take back what I said. After alittle investigation, I believe the format you have is wrong. I think it should be "SW-Mass@@XX@Part1.SLDPRT" where XX is the name of the configuration. Try that and let me know.

Regards,

Regg [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back