Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom symbol font locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

EAJ1

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2015
US
I have made a few custom symbols that are just tables with predefined text. Is there a way to lock the font of a custom symbol? The issue I have is when these symbols are placed the drawing font overrides the symbol definition. Things like font size and text justification are getting changed when placed. I'm also not able to edit the text on the drawing in which it's placed since it's considered a symbol not actual text. I'm using NX 8.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you've created a Tabular Note and saved it as a Custom Symbol? I don't think the Custom Symbol will separate the text as a separate and editable entity since it is more or less embedded in the Tabular Note itself. I'm fairly certain you'd have to draw the table with lines and place the text manually to get the desired outcome you're seeking (a Custom Symbol with editable text). That's how we used to have to do such tasks prior to the addition of Tabular Notes.

If it were me, and I'm not claiming this to be the best or most elegant solution, I'd just create the Tabular Note and save it in a standalone file. When needed, do a File -> Import Part and import the saved file with the Tabular Note into whatever drawing file requires this table. Once the table is imported you can drag it to where you want it or use the Move command to be more precise with the placement.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

You are correct in how I've made the symbol but I don't need to be able to edit the text, the table will always have the same text when placed in any drawing.

When I place the symbol the text style is changing, I'm assuming it's inheriting the drawing template font. The issue is that it has changed the size so some of the text is cut off and it changed to left justified instead of centered.

If the text is never going to change, you could use text geometry to create your symbol.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Make sure that your setting is as shown here:
URL]

Use definition is the trick!

NX10
Ansys 16.2
HP Z820 / Quadro4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back