Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Customer needs stand "OSHA certified" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

natepiercy

Mechanical
Mar 15, 2016
US
We have a customer who wants a set of stands (fixed height supports) OSHA certified for a manufacturing environment. I spent two and a half years doing tool design, but I've never heard of a custom tool or fixture being "OSHA certified". Anyone have experience with getting a custom device certified, or did my customer probably just mean that these devices need to be compliant with OSHA standards?

At the company that I worked at previously, we had our own set of internal standards that governed safety and ergonomic design, so it's very possible I've just had my head in the corporate sand with this one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A simple phone call to your local OSHA field office would confirm this. But I'm pretty sure: OSHA representatives would chuckle at this and state they are not in the business of "certifying" anything. There probably ARE some standards or other guidance for your design which your words indicate something to do with ergonomics. If that's the case, and humans being what they are coming in all shapes & sizes, the modern trend is to make height-adjustable work surfaces. More expensive, but the back strain-injured plaintiff's legal team won't have much to complain about.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

They may mean they want a 3rd party safety agency (TUV, UL, SGS...) to do an audit/inspection that relevant OSHA and any other applicable standards are met.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back