Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Customizing Sheet Formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

df51

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2003
US
I have finally customized a Solidworks sheet format for my company requirements. (Our previous standard was generated in Autocad) This new sheet format was edited from a B sized sheet. How can I save the title block (as customized) for A, C, D & E sized sheets without starting each one from scratch?

Thanks,
Dennis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try Edit Sheet, then window-select your title block. That should select all teh line segmetns and text. Then just copy & paste. I haven't tested this, but it should work. Ray Reynolds
Senior Designer
Read: faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Thanks MadMango, for the quick response! However, that is exactly what I can't seem to get to work. It won't work just copying on the same sheet either. Only the lines will respond... the text can only be moved one note at a time. It won't all (line and text) move in unison.

I've also saved the complete titleblock and border to a .dwg file. However when I import it or even look at it in Autocad, the fonts are not retained.

I think I must be missing something very basic.

Thanks,
Dennis

I had to do the same thing. Dragging things around seemed to always leave a couple or two things behind.

Treat the title block just like any sketch. Make a master copy where the lines are dimensioned w.r.t whichever corner the block is "anchored" (lower right corner in our case). Ordinate dimensions work well for this. This way, the constraints and dimensions will take the entire block along when you move just the corner point. You will still need to drag-and-drop the text, though. Afterward, you can delete the dimensions in your new copy, or place the dimensins on an invisible layer. [bat]Gravity is a harsh mistress.[bat]

Most title blocks have the most info located in the lower right corner. So, when you make another size, you have to move everything. One easy way to move entities on your title blocks is by right-clicking on the top-most icon in the tree and selecting Move.... This will pop up a dialogue that lets you move in X or Y by a specified distance, and simultaneously moves text, lines, & views. Note that it does not seem to want to move any OLE objects, including inserted Word doc notes, Excel tables (i.e. rev blocks) or even logo pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back