Cut Out in Pro E

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailpulak

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2010
US
Hello there guys,

I have designed a turbine and I want to get a negative space cut-out from a cylindrical shape of similar size(The cylinder with the cut-out will act as a fluid body to be used for analysis in Fluent).

What I do is first make a 3D model as Pro E part then I export it to a Pro E assembly and also create a cylinder of little bigger size. After that I Cut-Out the turbine model from the cylinder volume and get the cylinder with negative turbine space. I have successfully achieved the above once.

After that I tried to modify (reduce) the outlet area and the model regenerated fine. But when I export it again to the assembly and perform the Cut-out process it fails to regenerate. It says
"Incompatible part size/accuracy. Change PRT0009 accuracy to 0.000812 or use absolute accuracy to match part accuracies.
Feature regeneration failed.
Cut out has been created successfully."
But I don't get a cut-out. I tried to use "absolute accuracy" but it doesn't work.
I've also tried exporting the turbine model in different formats i.e. .prt, .iges, .stp

Any help will be appreciated. Let me know if you want anymore info.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By the looks of your screen shot you are using ProE WildFire 5.0. These are the steps I created to get what I think your looking for:
1. Crete an empty assembly, set accuracy to absolute .01. Name the assembly fan_test.
2. Create an empty part, set accuracy to absolute .01. Name the part fan.
3. Create an empty part, set accuracy to absolute .01. Name the part fluid.
4. Assemble the fan part into the fan_test.asm with coords CS0 to ACS0.
5. Assemble the fluid part into the fan_test.asm with coords CS0 to ACS0.
6. Create hub feature in the fan.prt on dtm3 with dtm2 as top ref for sketching. give dia dim and depth symetrical about dtm3.
7. Add blade features to fan.prt extruding from hub. give blade length dim.
8. Create a fluid feature in fluid.prt smilar as hub feature in fan.prt. give dia dim and depth symetrical about dtm3
Make sure fluid dia is larger than total O.D. of fan.prt also the depth should be larger than fan.prt.
9. Create a cutout of fan.prt from fluid.prt.
11. Adjust the blade length and regenerate.
12. Notice in the "fluid" jpg file attached that the fluid.prt volume of fan.prt is gone.
13. Adjust the blade length to a smaller dim and regenerate.
14. In my second post I attched the "fluid_adjusted" jpg file
15. Notice in the jpg file the fluid.prt volume of fan.prt is gone and the blade length is shorter with a successful regeneration.
I hope this helps you.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d6b8bea9-374e-4280-b6fd-f06ed085265a&file=fluid.JPG
Thanks drfraust for the reply[smile]. But the thing is I have used the model (shown in the first post) and created a set of data points. So for the next stage for consistency in my fluid analysis results, I have to use the same model and modify it as it is very difficult to recreate it exactly. That's why I was hoping to recreate the fluid model cut-out with the same method used previously. I hope you can understand my conundrum.[neutral]

Thanks.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "export". My instructions I listed are all within ProE. I could go into my assembly fan_test.asm and adjust the fluid.prt dia and or length of the extrusion and then regenerate successfully as I did within the fan.prt file I showed earlier. I also don't understand what you mean by the sentence which you say "That's why I was hoping to recreate the fluid model cut-out with the same method used previously". In Proe after I make the cutout feature of the fan within the fluid.prt I never create the cutout again, it is pararmetric so every time I make a change to any component it updates the fan.prt, the fluid.prt and the fan_test.asm upon every regeneration.
I am sorry I don't understand your questions. Perhaps another member could help you better.
Good luck...

When you changed the accuracy to absolute did you change it for each part and the assembly and what value did you use? We have had similar issues fining internal volumes of fluid reservoirs but the absolute accuracy always worked unless there were dramatic differences in model size (orders of magnitude). It is the small surfaces in the turbine model that are causing the regen issue. PTC TPI 32869 does an ok job of explaining the accuracy from PTC.

Good luck,

- J -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back