Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cutting 1/4" HRS on Bystar 4020 2800watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

adekker

Computer
Mar 16, 2011
CA
I am fairly new to lasers. I've been cutting for about two months on a bystronic bystar 4020, mostly Stainless 20gauge - 11gauge, Now I've got some parts to cut out of 1/4" hot rolled.

Because I cut mainly stainless I am running nitrogen.
I've got a 7.5 Head on the unit and I've figured out how to do a timed pulse cut but I am at a loss for the rest of the parameters.

Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with, If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

here is the link for the pictures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok,

What is your cutting gas? It looks as if you are trying to use nitrogen. Get back to me with your focus, gas pressure, power and feed rate and we will see what we can do from there.
-HR

I ordered some oxygen and low pressure nozzles. They will be here this afternoon, so I wont be mucking about with nitrogen. I have some base parameters to run oxygen so I'll let you know if I have any success.

My oxygen finally came in.. a few days late...
Can I cut a hole with a diameter of .126" in a piece of mild steel .25" thick?

I cut 1/8" holes in 1/4" HRS all the time. I don't know how universal cutting conditions are from one machine to another, but here are my settings.

Power- 1000
frequency- 30
duty- 20
feed- 5/ipm
gas- 20 psi

Adekker,

Here is what I would use for Pulse Cutting this hole:

Power: 1800
Freq: 10
Pulse Width: 25000
Gas Pressure: 0.8 bar
Feedrate: 150 mm

You may be able to cut this hole using CW but you more than likely have to play with the power and feedrate and maybe modulation.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back