Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cutting .25 alum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshparker

Industrial
Jun 7, 2012
US
Hello all,
I'm currently cutting .25 alum on my Mitsubishi 4K laser. on longer cuts it seems to jump to the top of the material. I changed the lens to rule out thermal distortion. and I'm getting ready to try dish detergent to "fog" the top of the material (I heard it had been done before) I'm cutting with Nitrogen using a 2.5 mm nozzle. My nozzle/focus gap is .1 with .02 nozzle gap and -.08 focal point. cutting at 60 ipm and using 12-15 gas pressure. Can't seem to rectify the problem. Any suggestions?

Parker Industries

parkerindustriesinc.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try setting your focus somewhere about .4 to .6mm below the bottom surface and slow it down to about 55 ipm. Dishwashing detergent? that is a new one for me, try using Malox or some other liquid milk of magnesia on the surface if you are having trouble piercing. And what grade aluminum are you cutting? 5052, 6061 or 3000 series?
-HR

thanks for the suggestions guys, I actually got the dish detergent to work and it solved all the problems....strange tho. I'm wondering who the first person was to think of that and how they reached that conclusion.

Parker Industries

parkerindustriesinc.com

We have a Mitsubishi and whenever we cut stainless or aluminum we use a 50% dawn dish soap and water mix. It was suggested by one of our laser techs and it has always worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back