Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting deformable components in the assembly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrintScaffold

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2006
RU
Greetings all!

I discovered that it is not possible to perform Assembly Cut on the deformable component in the assembly. Neither it is possible to create WAVE link or promote a body of it. I'm effectively stuch not being able to subtract a material from a deformed component. Is it possible to do at all? Is there a workaround?

Note: this is a real task for the job, not a 'what if' scenario.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I can think of a workaround - creates certain features which would change geometry to a desirable shape and add them to the deformation feature, thus creating representatin of the necessary cut in the assembly. But is there some other way?

What you do is in the Assembly, perform a...

Insert -> Associative Copy -> Extract Geometry...

...and make a copy of the Solid body in the Deformed Component. Now Hide (NOT Suppress) the Deformed Feature and create the desired tool body(s) and subtract them from the associative copy of the Deformed Feature. Now you can still edit the 'Deformed Component' and the model will update as expected.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

What version of NX are you using? I had no problems doing this in NX 8.5.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Worked like a charm (see attached). You just need to be careful when selecting the bodies when you preform the Boolean subtract.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3af3f10c-8284-41a9-a2d5-27862bd8c9b5&file=Deform_example.zip
John, I am totally at loss why does it not work for me. When I go insert > associative copy > extract geometry, I can NOT pick a solid body for extraction. What can be wrong?

When you're in the...

Insert -> Associative Copy -> Extract Geometry...

...dialog, make sure the 'Extract Geometry Type' is set to 'Body' and the selection filter is set to 'No Selection Filter' or 'Solid Body'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I can't explain it. I'm doing nothing special and we're both using the same part files so it's not a part problem. You may have to take this up with GTAC and have them look at your configuration.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Try resetting the dialog by clicking on the reset button at the top of the dialog:

20-05-20138-38-17AM_zps92abfff0.jpg

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX5.0.6, NX6.0.5, NX7.5.0-> NX7.5.5 & NX8.0.0 -> NX8.0.3.4, NX8.5.0.23

have same issue with NX 8.5.0.23. Have a feeling eex23 is right, a mr and mp update will fix this. Another work around Instance Geometry works with NX 8.5.0.23.

NX 8.0.3.4 mp2, TC 8.3

Note that I was running NX 8.5.2.3, the latest MR, which will be ready for customer download in about 3 weeks or so if all goes to plan.

To determine the exact version of NX that you're running, go to...

Help -> About NX

...and you will see the version designation at the top-left of the dialog window. To get even more information, hit the large 'button' labeled 'System Information'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Thanks for the info, John!

I know how to get the information about the version I am running. I do not know how to check if it is the latest! :)

If problem is lack of version NX 8.5.2.3, I will wait untill it is released and then get back to you with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back