Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting out material from 3D surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajody

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2003
CA
First of all I'm new at using AutoCAD 2000 as a 3D tool, so bear with me. I'm working on 2D (converting to 3D) layout of a building. I have added height to all my walls by adding a thickness in the properties menu. Now I want to cut out some sections in the walls for windows and doors, but can't figure out how to do it. Is it possible to do this if the 3D wall is created using the thickness property, or do I have to do it in a completely different way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use solid instead of lines with thikness.

At view toolsbar click on solids then use box to make walls,
clik on solid editing too
chose length wide and heigth to make a wall.

then again with box make a new box with door length wide and heigth

Locate the door box any where on the wall box , then using the substrat choose the wall , as the substrt from , do a enter and clik on the door .

If you need further help please send me a dwg sample.

to k281969@hotmail.com

Pardal

if you are using 2D layouts which show the wall areas clearly, you can use 'Draw-Boundary...-Region-Pick points' and select a point inside the wall area. Then all you have to do is 'Draw-Solids-Extrude' and when it says pick object, type 'l' (for 'last'), and specify the wall height . This way, you can do odd wall sections as well, corners etc, very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back