Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cyclic symmetry in ALGOR static/linear analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePAA

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2008
US
hi, I have a cylindrical assy whose geometry repeats every 120* and would like to do the analysis on a 120* section instead of the entire assy. I have used symmetry on a 90* section which is easy, but I haven't used another interval like 120*. I know this is a very common analysis method but I searched help on V23.1 and it didn't help me much :). I called the ALGOR tech line but there's been no one available so far today.

Can someone give me a brief explanation on how to set this up?

Is there an "algor for dummies" type book :)?

TIA.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steve,

In the FEA editor, create a cylindrical coordinate system for the 120 degree segment of your model.

Then apply the appropriate cylindrical coordinate system boundry conditions to the appropriate faces.

Hope this helps.

Tommy

thanks. I eventually did talk to ALGOR and, like you said, this really isn't that difficult. The user's guide help on this topic just wasn't very clear to me. Searching for modeling symmetry gives some more info on it but not a cylindrical example. Set up a cylindrical coord system, apply that coord system to the cut face, apply the boundary conditions to that face using the cyl coord system (be careful here). Repeat for the other cut face. Apply any other boundary conditions, apply forces, run analysis.

I recommend the book "Practical Stress Analysis with Finite Elements." It's not ALGOR specific, but it is essentially FEA for dummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back