Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cyclic Symmetry + Meshing -- "cannot find matching topology"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared55848

Aerospace
Oct 13, 2011
CA
Hi there,

Am trying to figure out why I am not able to mesh my geometry in ANSYS using cyclic symmetry or match control (I assume both of these do the same thing, so one or the other should suffice)

There is a difference of 0.00001 in^2 in the cross sectional area of the two faces I am trying to deal with. I would assume this is a small enough disparity to allow for the mesher to easily deal with the conditions of the cyclic BC, but so far no luck...

Have tried using either cyclic symmetry or match control. On top of this, I attempted using face sizing and body sizing to refine the mesh size. The mesh generates fine (both with and without sizing controls) when the cyclic condition is removed, but keeps throwing the "cannot find matching topology" error whenever I try to mesh it with the cyclic condition

I'm suspecting this is a problem with the geometry itself, which was imported from CATIA. As such I have exported the updated geometry (done in design modeller) and am attmepting to re-import the geometry to see if this fixes the issue.

Any thoughts on how to try and fix this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Update (for anyone who happens to still seeing this). It was the number of vertices on the cyclic faces which was causing this. Some quick fixes with virtual topology fixed the problem ;)

Good luck to all with ANSYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back