Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cylinder liner honing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr180561

Electrical
May 12, 2004
SA
I understand that honing of cylinder liner is not a routine work. Can someone tell me when it is necessary to hone a cylinder liner? And what is the correct procedure for honing a cylinder liner? Regards - wr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it appears that WR has gone and started putting the piston and rings back in his engine, maybe we should discuss these large bore hones until he gets back (or gives up on us giving any helpful advice).

Tmoose, have you used these "rigid" hones on a 15.25" diameter bore? (387 mm) I'm preparing to do an overhaul on one of our integral compressors, this summer. I plan to use a rigid hone to knock the ring ledge out of the liners, provided they are in spec. Any advice?

I agree that the beri brushes don't do much, but if you are changing your piston, rings, or bearing 20% of the way through your overhaul cycle, you need something to break the glaze and get the rings to seat. Or am I not thinking about this correctly?

Thanks, dwedel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back