Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dam Breach Outlet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weimsguy

Civil/Environmental
Mar 1, 2017
US
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Dam Safety Program document GI-364 "Hydrologic and Hydraulic Guidelines for Dams in Texas" 8.3 Breach Parameters / Breach Configuration (Embankments) requires a breach width minimum of 3 times the height of water being impounded and vertical side walls. HydroCAD does not allow for vertical sidewalls for the DAM Breach outlet. The minimum notch angle (NAngle) is 20 degrees. I am trying to come up with the best model I can to have the equivalent flow going through the breach outlet. Higher peak flows are acceptable, but that impacts the spillway design and the downstream inundation area, especially the box culverts under a roadway just downstream from the dam. Can I override the NAngle parameter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks. I read the manual and the error message was pretty clear, but I did not read the Help display. I will always start there before posting any more questions.

I know the rectangular Dam Breach Outlet is in the very extensive Help file, but (IMHO) it might be useful to also mention it in the Documentation. Or even a data check of (Notch Angle) .LE. 0 or Null ==> Rectangular Breach Outlet.

The help file *is* the primary documentation for all HydroCAD input screens. Just click the Help button on any screen for detailed help on that specific screen. In fact, that's exactly how I determined the answer to your question.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back