Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damage on Clamp on Sensors of Non contact ultrasonic clamp on Flow Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

charz

Electrical
Jan 11, 2011
IN
The sensors of Flow meter (Non-contact ultrasonic clamp on) got damaged on the sensor face. It worked well for six months after installation, however, it suddenly got damaged on the sensor face. Nobody touched it after initial installation. What could be the possible reasons for this damage? Pics attached

How about the following possibilities?
1. The sensor rails were tightened more than required
2. Expansion of pipeline

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6810315d-fee8-40de-8055-120bed54fe9f&file=230120554_205653.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The yellow stuff is the sensor face which is mounted on the pipe which transmits and receives the sound waves. The operating temperature was around -20-degree celsius before 2 months and now it is 25-degree celsius.

The pumped liquid is just the raw water. There is no possibility of any chemical attack. It seems that physical force can be one of the reasons why the sensors were damaged, but I do not know why it got the physical force

What is the yellow stuff made of? Was it semi-liquid when applied? I see other yellow stuff that looks like remnants of a grease-like material.

Perhaps you can provide more details, like the installation process, materials, make/model.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

It is a mineral grease applied on the face of the sensor to increase the conductivity of the sound waves. It is a block of plastic/ nylon material.

If I remember correctly, the last time we installed these US clamp on meters, we installed chain guard fencing around each of them, since they were located close to grade. We also paid the meter supplier to install and commission these into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back