Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DAMNED DNB Firmware and RS LINX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2009
CA
thread791-230661
Might be a little late....
I've been dealing with this problem also recently. I have found a workaround:
Under the windows START menu >>>programs>>>>rockwell software>>>rslinx>>>rslinx launch control panel....
STOP the service. Disable the checkbox "Always run as a service" and EXIT. go back to the start menu and run RSLINX ( NOT the Control panel!!!). When this is done you should be able to browse to the DNB and see the plus sign and all the attached devices. You should also be able to right-click any device and "Upload EDS file from device".

This is a workaround.... does anybody have the TRUE fix?

BrokenDownElectrician

That all depends on the device. The EDS files are begining to be embedded in the modules firmware and therefore if the firmware does not support it linx will not upload anything.

I can infer from your post that you couldn't browse through a 1756-DNB until you made RSLinx Classic run as an Application, and/or that you could not upload an EDS file from the module until RSLinx Classic was running as an application.

Now that you have done both, the module and software work as you expect them to. Is there still a problem ? Does RSLinx now not work with the 1756-DNB when RSLinx runs as a service ?

I have run across the issue of not being able to browse through a bridge module if you don't have the EDS file registered. It shows up in RSWho as a "1756-Module" with the part number, but no + sign, and RSLinx won't "browse through" it.

As soon as the EDS is registered (whether copied manually, downloaded from the Web, or uploaded from the module) then RSLinx knows how the bridge works and you'll be able to browse through it.

I've been able to download and register the EDS files, both from the device and from the auto-internet-search capacity in the TOOLS section of RsNetworx. Even after this, I still need to run RS Linx as an application if I want to browse the Devicenet network.
I have tried deleting the harmony files, tried downgrading to an earlier version of Linx (2.51, and 2.52), but nothing seems to work.
I am at the point where i need two programming terminals open to get anything done because (GET THIS>>>) I can't go online with V17 when I RUN RS LINX AS AN APPLICATION!!!!
So I run one terminal with LINX as an application (so I can see my Devicenet drives and change parameters), and another with RS Linx as a service so I can do My code in the V17 (5561)Processor.
Yes, I know that I SHOULD be able to just switch RS Linx between an application and a service on the fly but if I do it with an RS5000 file open the RSWho browser in the 5000 gets hung and won't find the processor, then I have to reboot, and then......

I'm annoyed.

BDE

What windows operating system are you using? What version of internet explorer is installed? Are you loogen in as the local admin on this machine? Any anti-virus/anti-spyware that actively cleans the system registry? And one final question and errors in c:\program files\rockwell software\rslinx\install.log open in notepad to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back