Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data logger for general plant maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwy

Electrical
Nov 26, 2007
US
Have a friend who is a maint. manager at a large municipal waste water treatment facility. He is looking to acquire a data logger and asked me if I had any experience w/ a Fluke 1736. I haven't had to use a data logger in years and years.
From what I gather the primary use would be for monitoring motor currents/voltages. These motors range in size from 50 to 450 h.p., all on soft starts, all 480v. To aid in troubleshooting intermittent soft start faults, 480v supply issues, etc someone had suggested this unit.
Does anyone have any pros/cons or general comments about this model-cost,functionality etc. I have never seen one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For soft-starters, especially such with PWM, the bandwidth of the 1736 is rather limited. The 1738 is slightly better, I think, but sampling rate seems to be around 10 kSa/s and that is not enough if you want to study PWM in detail.

They are both geared more towards PQ than soft starter measurements. They simply don't tell the whole truth. There are things like PICO Scopes that do a better job in that respect. They are also available at a good price. Rigol has a few good instruments and I think that Keysights new low cost series is Rigol under the Keysight label.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

I will look into those models- reminds me that the last time I used a data logger the "graphics display" was a strip chart recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back