Data Loggers with Anti-Theft Features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple2

Electrical
Jul 19, 2021
CA
Hello Gurus,

Power Data loggers are quite expensive gadgets ($600 - $10K) to leave at a site's electrical room, in order to gather data. Wondering if there are those that come with anti-theft features, so far I couldn't find any. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're using it at a facility's behest then you need a document stating that they'll replace it if it's stolen or damaged. You explain it's costly, you have no control over their facility, or the people in it, and you need confirmation (the signed agreement) that they'll warrant its theft or damage. Since most employees don't have a lot of personal angst about corporate's money and the request is so reasonable, they should have little hesitation about signing.

Otherwise you need to find a lockable Hoffman Enclosure you can drop on site and chain to something. You can have lots of access holes cut in it as you just need to prevent the removal of the instrument.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Check with the manufacturer of your data logger.
I have a Dranetz PQM and they offer a good locking box that comes with a bracket for mounting the PQM in the enclosure.

Seems to me, that the data logger needs a USB fob that turns it on and allows it to record. But without the fob it never does anything useful again. One fob (or a small number of fobs) per recorder. Idea freely offered.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back