Apr 19, 2003
US
You are in a Community Discussion
Community: Enterprise Pro/ENGINEER Modeling Strategies

Subject: Data Point Export

AUTHOR: Christopher Sprock Post Date: January 21, 2010
Sent to: Community Members
Caterpillar: Confidential Yellow

This could be a simple Pro/E question, as I am not a regular user. I would like to know how to extract point locations from a surface in Pro/E. How is this done?

I need to be able to click on the surface, using the datum point tool, and then extract the position (x,y,z) from those locations. Does Pro/E have the functionality to do this?

What I have done so far is create one single datum point. This point was then patterned a couple hundred times with a repeating distance. These points represent the location that I would like to extract the position data from. At this point I am not sure how to "export" the position data. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is probably a better way, but you could save as copy as an iges file (.igs) and select just the datum points you want. Iges is basically a list of coordinates. You will probably want something that can read the file for you though, to extract the data. You will end up with a file with a bunch of data including some lines that will look like:

116,0D0,0D0,0D0,0,0,1,21;
116,0D0,0D0,1D0,0,0,1,25;

Any of these lines starting with 116 is a line defining a point. The 0D0,0D0,0D0 part is the coordinate, here it is (0,0,0) and (0,0,1). You can inport it into excel or another program starting at the line where the coordinates start and have it delemate by "," and have it strip off the D0.

Like I said there is most likely a better way, but I have never tried to export a mesh of point coordinates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back