Data reports and stamping a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

90harley

Industrial
Mar 9, 2009
US
To all,

I am currently performing a corrosion resistant weld overlay to (6) 10' sections of shell that will later be welded together to make a 60' vessel as well as two hemispherical heads. I received the sections in 10' inc. rolled and seam welded. I considered the sections to be parts and was looking for Partial data reports and stamping on each section however that was not the case. I was told that the material would return to the supplier after my overlay, welded into a vessel and then the supplier would issue a U1 stamp and data reports for the job.

So my question is do I, stamp each section with my U stamp and return them with a U2 partial data report and just list "weld overlay"?

Thank You, Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I buy overlay services on nozzles quite regularly. All come with partial data reports. If I remember correctly, any welding on a pressure vessel pressure retaining part requires a partial data report, except small manufactured parts such as tees and elbows that come with a manufacturers trade mark and proper stamping.

Are you certain it is a contractor and not a division of your own company? Grab a current VIII-1 and look for paragraph UG-120(c) for these words and determine if applicable......or ask your Quality Manager...........Manufacturers with multiple locations, each with its own Certificate of Authorization, may transfer pressure vessel parts from one of its locations to another without Partial Data Reports, provided the Quality Control System describes the method of identification, transfer, and receipt of the parts.......

FAQ731-376 A question properly stated is a question half solved.

(CodeRef)The cans are not for a division of our company they are for a customer.

From what I have read I will need to stamp each section and supply a partial data report for each section as well.

It sounds like your customer is an ASME Certificate Holder. They would not issue Partial Data Reports for items sent out for overlay, as the shell sections will be sent back to them and included in a complete vessel, which will have their U-stamped nameplate and a U-1 or U-1A master Data Report.

You should stamp each shell section as a U-part and provide them with a Partial Manufacturer's Data Report detailing what you did.

Hope this help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back