Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data transfer from OS Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcch

Automotive
Jul 2, 2001
US
I am working with a company that used to use I-Deas but has since moved everything to China. They made me a copy of the team directory with all it's files, but I am having a problem trying to reconnect them on my system. Can anybody help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly can help, what exactly is the problem?

If the team directory is a standard config and intact then it should be possible to recreate the TDM using the existing Master config files.

When you reply, please include OS and software version.

I am using v11 on a Windows XP machine. I am trying to use th e DMADMIN command and import the pmd files, but you have to do them one at a time. The other problem is that when I do get a pmd file imported, it does not see the files that were linked to it. The existing company was on a network and everything was stored on a t: drive. I have it local in a d: drive. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DMADMIN is to be used if you have exported the projects from the original TDM, since this is not the case it will not work for you.

Assuming that you do not currently have a working TDM with your installation, put the CD1 of the install CDs into your Server and run through the Install, if you don't select any additional modules then no new software should be insatlled and you should get to the TDM instal section. You should then have the option to select an existing Master config file (or something like that), you should then be able to select the original data and have it configured for use on the new machine.

I believe the Team area needs to be stored under the same root position as it was on the original machine, ie. if it came off of X:\Team then you will require an X Drive on the new machine.

Let me know how you get on, I don't remeber the exact sequence to do this but if you're still struggling I'll find my install CDs and see if I can remember a little more.

Sweet, I will give that a try this weekend and let you know how it goes. I just need to map another drive like the original set-up, but no big deal. Thanks for all the help.

I have tried putting the data back to the same location as the oringal data came from (T: Drive), but it appears the z_master.imd file does not have all the projects in it. I am trying to rebuild, restore, or import the projects, but just am not sure how. Is there a way to import the *.pmd files? The *.pmd files are all still good and still point to the children files fine as long as I can add them.

Help, Please.

Did you try the "Use an existing Team data installation parameter file" option at the end of the I-DEAS installation process. If so at what point did things not work?

I did, I think that when the previous company came to the end, somebody screwed up the imd file. The imd file only shows 3 projects in it. I searched their drive to see if there was another imd file but came up with nothing. There has to be a way to manually add the pmd file to it, I just need to know how and am having a hard time figuring it out.

Sounds a bit odd, you can't change the imd file at OS level so you'd think it would be eiter working or corrupt. To have it working but showing less projects than you expect suggests it's the wrong file or somebody has "cleaned up" the TDM before givng it to you.

Can you ask the new owners of the TDM to send you the imd file? generally they are not much more than a couple of Mb in size.

Without it I'm not aware of a way of manually re-configuring the TDM.

Just a couple of the obvious questions, are you installing the TDM on to the same OS as the original and at the same I-DEAS version?

We are using the same version of Ideas (10) and the same OS (Win2000). Is there a way to build a new IMD file? Are there any other good sites that have info on I-Deas that anybody may know about?

OK, for everybody to learn from my mistakes, I have figured a way to import projects from other systems.

1) Put them on a drive with the same letter as where they came from initially.
2) Use "dmadmin" program to do the importing.
a) Use "PROJ" to import the projects
b) Use "IM" for the importing command
c) Type in the full path of the file and the file (ie. T:\team\projects\z_Type-309_0016)
d) Accept the import by pressing "y"

This will import the file into your imd file.

Thanks for all the help that I received above, it did put me on the right path. Hope this can help someone else in the future so they don't have to go thru all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back