Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Database files for toolbox stuff--edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2004
US
Is it possible to edit the Access database files in the Toolbox/lang/english directory to customize what's available in the toolbox and Hole Wizard (more importantly for me, the Hole Wizard)? We're about to go live with SolidWorks, and I'd eventually like to dump out all of the standards and hardware that we'll never use, like JIS, BSI, DIN and others. We work with a pretty limited set of hardware, and I'd rather have just that stuff available.

So, is it safe to do this? Has anybody done this safely? Any tips, warnings, etc? Thanks,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not dump the parts you have. Not all of them are in toolbox. You can add them to your toolbox. Do a search in this forum, or check out the faq's.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP0.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

brrian,

You could create your own parts in Toolbox or use palette parts in a specific location to make sure everyone uses just those, it might be a little more straight forward.

John

Are you using 2005? 2004 will allow you to do what I'm about to suggest, 2005 just has more things to tinker with.

Go to tools, options, Data Options(under System Options) and click the Edit Standards Data button. Here, you'll be able to select and "disable" the standards you don't want/need, just as you asked. You will also be able to create a Derived Standard. What this does is make a copy of whichever standard you choose. For example, you can choose Ansi Inch, and make a derived standard calling it "My Ansi Inch". Once you've created your new standard you should be able to find it in the list of standards, expand it and you'll see all the items listed in the standard. Now you should have access to each database and be able to make changes to the part sizes and such. There isn't very much info on this in the Help file, not sure why.

Just ask, if I wasn't clear enough about some of this. I'll do the best I can to help out. You should be able to figure out most of it, with a little time pokin around in there.

Have fun
Chris

Thanks for the advice. I've been to the "Edit Standards Data" location, and I've created my own standard. There was (possibly still is) a defect with this function in 2005--the Hole Wizard command displayed options that were disabled in my standard, and switched everything to Metric.

If I can't hack the Access files, I'll probably just make a bunch of favorites for everybody to use in the Hole Wizard command.

Thanks,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back