Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Database of infrared pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikkopee

Industrial
Dec 28, 2004
FI
Is there any database of infrared pictures?
If there is, are they free or how big is the fee? How many pictures/pieces of equipment they are containing?

I was just thinking that maybe there could be kind of a service, whereas is a lot of infrared pictures from different
equipment. There are samekind of services for vibration measurement for bearings. This database could be useful for references??

What do You think?

Yours,
Mikko Pieskä

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mikko,
There are several websites out there that have example IR images. Snell, ITC, The Infraspection Institute are a few examples. These sites also have IR forums like this one where people share their expertise.
Kind regards,

Roy Gariepy
Maintenance and Reliability Dept.
Dorlastan Fibers LLC.
Goose Creek, South Carolina USA

Thank You Roy for the fast answer. I however think, that we didn´t quite understood eachother?

I have seen these example images, which can be easily found from the various websites. Usually these pictures are in pairs with a digital image, IR image of broken equipment/equipment with "hot spots" and equipment which is OK.

These are however, only example images. What I meant was a merely a database of pictures with a adequate information of target attached for references.
E.g: IR image of ballbearing type SKF 5688 on 2000 RPM should look like this in OK-condition with these thermal values
OR IR image of normally functioning 3phase fuse connection on 40kV line with 50% load looks like this etc.

If You are using vibration measurement device as Your CBM-method, You can refer Your measurement from some bearing to one which is in OK-condition. To do this, You have to get the measurement data from the target and compare it to one which is ok. You can usually buy these OK-measurements: E.g. can provide You this.

These databases You can search by Part Number, Dimensions, Bearing Type, Manufacturer...

Is there one for thermographers too?

If there would be this kind of service, what would You think about it:
it is not useful (IR-analyses are always more case-specific) or
is too risky (revealing Your equipment to competitors)

I am just wondering, would it be possible and useful?

Yours,
Mikko Pieskä

Bearing frequencies as multiple of running speed are well-known and calculatable from bearing dimensions. No guesswork. Barely any difference between the same bearing used in different applications.

Bearing housing temperature rise is a different animal. ot an easily available number. You can guesstimate by seeing how close you are to the speed rating of the bearing for your type of lubrication (grease or oil) with a little experience and judgement but it's not an exact calculation and not tabulated.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

I have not seen a website that meets your request, but do know that Infraspection Institute completed two studies on misalignment of motor/load systems and documented their results pictorially. The most current study, completed for the Eli Lilly corp. shows motor/coupling/load ir images at deliberate misalignments on different axis. The imaging compares the images with additional data collected, i.e. contact thermometry, motor current signature analysis, etc.. While not specifically your bearing info, it is specifically many combinations of identified couplings, two most common motor rpm's, etc. You can obtain more info at
Outside of this and just an opinion, bearing ir information might be a bit rough. To document a "normal" image requires quite a bit of additional info (alignment, lubrication, ambient conditions, loading and so on). This info may not be available. Perhaps the above info will be help.

Thank You, hotspot, for information provided. This was what I was asking for.

Bearings were only a example, I was trying to get information from every area whereas thermography is used. I was thinking if there would be any use for a database, whereas would be a pictures with adequate information attached. Electrical motors, bearings, transformers, fuses, relays and so on. Pictures of these equipment with information about it. That You could use as a reference. How come my motor is running hotter than reference picture from database? Is load same, rpm:s same or do we have a problem with our motor?

Thank You for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back