Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DB for hotel in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

AusLee

Electrical
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Hi,

In some countries they use one DB above the false ceiling for each couple of hotel rooms. So each floor will have one DB and several sub DBs along the corridor, above ceiling.

Can someone please tell if this practice is used in Australia? would the location above ceiling next to an access hatch be approved or considered as restricted under AS3000-Section 2.9.2.5?

Just why do they use this kind of sub-distribution in a hotel environment? Why not just straight circuits from the floor DB?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi AusLee,

I can't answer the question since I'm on the other side of the world -- but I have a question for you, just for my personal edification: What is a DB? I suspect you mean distribution board, but I've never used or read that term myself.

Thanks and good on ya,

Goober Dave

I've not heard of a DB above the ceiling (and yes DB is distribution board).

The reason for doing smaller boards is because it is much easier to add a new circuit, rather than run all the way back to the floor db. That and it would save on cable runs. I personally would be a bit concerned about putting them in the ceiling.

NZ and Aus use the same standard, and every hotel or motel I've stayed in (including Aus) the room has had a small DB usually just inside the entrance flush mounted on the wall. The main reason for one DB per room is the the DB has an RCBO as the main switch, and has the master room contactor that turns the power off when you pull your key tag out of the wall switch. If the RCBO trips it is easy to get at to reset, up in the ceiling would be a call out to maintenance and inconvenient to the customer. Having a DB in the ceiling is acceptable under AS3000 but I wouldn't do it as you introduce a fall hazard just to get to it.

Cheers niallnz

Hi,

After the introduction if Section J8.3 in BCA and the requirement for separate metering for lighting, power and HVAC, the use of one DB per room or one DB per couple of rooms is very complicated.

Thanks niallnz for the tip regarding the RCBO. I think the first GPO in the room can have the RCD on board, as in hospitals (AS3003).

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back