Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DB Works question (should be simple)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnas

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2004
US
I have moved a SW drawing from one directory to another. Now when I try to open the drawing, the preview window in DBWorks states that the file does not exist. This is correct, it no longer exists (in that location). How do I edit the path to the new location? I thought this would be a simple task. Maybe there is an "Update Path" button that I do not see.

Thanks,
Drake

When it comes to protecting yourself or your family it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What did you use to move the file?
Solidworks Explorer or Windows Explorer or DB Works or ???

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

I used windows, cut & paste into the new location. Should I have used a different method?

When it comes to protecting yourself or your family it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Yes! You should have use SW Explorer or DB Works (if it has that capapbility)

SolidWorks & DBWorks would not know that you have moved/renamed a file if you didn't use them to move it & update the references.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Actually, I did find a quick way to update the path. When opening up DBWorks you have the option of opening for Browsing, or opening for Updating. I used the Updating option. Then, I did a search for the drawing and it listed it with the old path. As long as you use the Updating option you can now click in the yellow field with the path and type in the new path. Go back and check out the part and now the path is now updated. An additional bonus is that by replacing the path this way is that there are no old DBWorks records floating around referencing the old file path. We are not supposed to open for updating (admin only) but it worked regardless and I can move forward.

Thanks and I hope this may help someone else in the future,
Drake M.

DBWorks is a VERY powerful tool. The automation it provides, saves us huge amounts of time from a paperwork perspective. The paperwork we used to have to do for a project used to be about 2/3 of the project time overall. Now we can automatically generate BOMs, reports, changes, updates, archives etc. There is definately a learning curve as there is with anything that offers this much flexability. This is the only system that we have used with SW.

Always use DBWorks to move files...."Rename/replace" command.

DBWorks allows you to rename a document and/or to move it to another directory or disk while keeping all the existing relations

Ed Hulse
Sr. Designer/DBWorks Admin

Thanks Ed, I will give that a try.
Drake

EdHulse is right. Only use rename/replace. This will update the DBWorks database as well as all assemblies and drawings which may be looking for that file.

Do not use Win Explorer OR SolidWorks Explorer.

For users who are not DBWorks admins, "open for updating" should be disabled.

How can that option be disabled? I was told that was not possible.
Thanks,
Drake

It probably depends on if you have the Enterprise version or not (sounds like maybe you don't)

If you do, administrators should have Admin tools installed with DBWorks (but not regular users). One of these tools is DBWarm.exe which is the Access Rights Manager. This allows the admin to assign users to groups and decide what rights each group has.

Most of our users are in a group called Designer and this group is denied the right for "Open for updating"

We do not have the enterprise version. I guess until we get that version a strong "Do Not Use That Feature" will have to do. Thanks very much for the info.
Drake M.

you may wnat to go to the DBWorks pull-down and select Customize Menu. Uncheck Open for Updating . . .

This will take it off the menu and keep you from getting in there accidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back