DCS Delta V connect via Modbus Ethernet Modicon Premium PLCs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samske

Electrical
Jun 24, 2003
CA
Hi all,

I am considering to use the DeltaV DCS from EMERSON for my up coming project; and DeltaV offers a Modbus serial link to PLCs. I am also planning to use Schneider Electric's Premium PLCs to be connected to the DeltaV via Modbus Ethernet. Therefore, I would need to use a Serial to Modbus Ethernet convertor. Does any one know of such a convertor out there? also, any one aware of any pitfalls in this design? any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lantronix has a device called the UDS10-IAP we have used with good success. However, we've had the Modbus master on the ethernet side, and the slaves on the serial side. Sounds like you may have the opposite case, and I'm not sure if it's applicable there.

One thing we've done in the "opposite" case is the use a small Modicon Momentum PLC as the MBTCP master and MB serial slave. We wrote some logic for the Momentum to go out and gather up registers from a variety of MBTCP devices and place them in adjacent memory to be read serially by the MB serial master.

I can't speak about your specific DCS, but just beware that whenever trying to fit a proprietary system into an "open systems" architecture, it's usually not as easy as the salesman will make it sound!

jwmccoype,
Thanks for your valuable contribution. yes, I do agreed with you on the salesman's tale; that is why I posted this question hoping to get as much feed back as possible prior making my decision on this design.

For my money I have found that the Delta V DCS platform is an easy platform to implement MODBUS in. You can set their card up as a Master or a Slave. Configuration is very easy. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to connect to your third party device with "straight" RS232 or RS485 rather than Modbus over ethernet but I'm sure that with a third party device, like the Lantronix previously mentioned, that it would be simple to do.

Mike6158 & ad2002,

As always, it's a pleasure to see your inputs. Anyway, Schneider Electric's Premium PLCs does not offer for one to simply connected to the Modbus RS485 network to be able to configure any PLCs on that network like it's legacy Quantum's PLCs does; however, Modbus Ethernet does offer this feature on the Premium PLCs.

Hi,
I haven't had sucess in getting answers here before, but I'll try again. I have a Mettler Toledo HR-83 Moisture Analyzer communicating to Delta-V via a serial to profibus methodology (ie. serial to a MT Profibus Converter "blue box"). I had no problem getting the weight value out of the scale into Delta-V (in basic mode). In order to get the moisture (%) out, I need to change to extended mode and use the MT-SICS commands. I've done the configuration on both sides (DeltaV and the Profibus converter). The question is how one sends and receive SICS commands via DeltaV?

Thanks,
Dai

daicly,

I suggest that you start a new thread to ask your question instead of posting it on a thread that has been INACTIVE FOR TWO YEARS. See faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back