Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dcs vs plc for desalination plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamunasaiganesh

Petroleum
Jun 17, 2003
IN
hi
i am doing the engineering for a desalination plant with a DCS based control system. no of i/os works out to approximately 1400 with a majority of digital signals. what is best for this application? dcs or plc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The process is continuous and the I/O count is reasonably high. I gather that most signals will be from transmitters instead of switches. If so, a DCS should fit well.

John

Today PLCs manufacturers do offer powerfull configuration and Process management tools able to design complete process controls algorithms and sequential logics without requiring complicated DCS systems.

Schneider's new development platform: UNITY do offer the capabilities of a small DCS system at reasonnable costs.

Worth to mention also a new era of ruggedized "open" controllers on industrial redundant Ethernet at even lower costs than PLCs complete with a powerfull development platform such as the MTL Instruments: M.O.S.T. system . and their Workbench tools. In addition, the MOST controllers do not require local stations nor control rooms nor costly protective buildings or installations . Eveything can live outside at temps from - 40°C to + 70°C ambiant...in standard junction boxes..!

HI
Check out this Thread
Yoiu will understand the difference between PLC and DCS
thread791-74676

Hemant

Instruite
--------------------------------------
Ideas that works
Concepts that sells
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.