Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

De-energizing primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbrooke

Electrical
Nov 12, 2012
US
If a tree leans over and rests into 15kv tree wire is it necessary to de-energize the 12.47kv primary? This just happened next to my house. I still have power. But wondering for how long LOL.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Report it to the utility. If the tree bridges two lines it should trip out the circuit.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Definitely report it to the utility and do not go near the tree as there could be shock hazards. Depending on moisture levels, a tree on the line can trip the feeder, or it can stay leaning on the circuit for a long time. Eventually the tree would probably reach the right conditions for the leakage current to heat the wood enough to catch on fire.

OP said:
Can the crews remove it without shutting down the line?
It depends;
It depends on what equipment they have available.
It depends on the size of the tree.
It depends on their Job Hazard Analysis.
It depends on the company's written and approved safe work practices for removing trees from line,.
It depends.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Tree wire is not fully insulated. It would likely be possible to do the work with the line energized, but if it were my crew, I'd tell them to de-energize if they had any concerns at all - unless there is a hospital at the end of the line.

A couple years ago I had a tree on my streets phase (23kv tree wire). It lasted a day before it burned through and popped the cutout. But as a poster above wrote, there are so many factors that will determine how long it will hang in, could be be days/weeks.

Call it into your utilities trouble report center but be warned if its due to the wind storm that just hit the northeast it may be a while before they get to it.

I'll just say this: Who came up with tree wire deserves a Nobel prize. It is a miracle that I still have power.

But then again I've seen the cousin known as spacer cable sit with broken spacers (phases touching)/tree branches for months on end.

Update!

Power company showed up 2-1/2 to 3 hours ago and cut the power. Took the tree down and re-energized about 5 minutes ago.

All in all I say got lucky neither the cross arm nor the pole broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back