Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deadman Guy Anchor - passive pressure with skin friction

Status
Not open for further replies.

akraus

Structural
Jun 18, 2013
US
I am analyzing a deadman guy anchor for a telecommunications tower. The anchor has both significant uplift and lateral loads applied to it.

For the lateral resistance, I've seen many calculations that account only for the passive pressure on the front face of the anchor. Because of the uplift forces acting in conjunction with the lateral forces, I feel that the skin friction on the top face of the anchor would also be "activated" to help resist the lateral forces.

Any thoughts/comments on using both the passive pressure on the front face and the skin friction on the top face of the anchor to calculate the lateral resistance on the deadman anchor?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any chance the soil near this will ever soften due to saturation? I'd not rely on any friction. Also, will this deadman (I assume a block of concrete) be subjected to uplift because of buoyancy due to high water table, or saturated soil? That will reduce its resistance to uplift by its weight.

Groundwater was not encountered from the soil borings, so saturation shouldn't be an issue. Yes, the deadman anchor is a concrete block. I am not anticipating any uplift (buoyancy) from water in the soil since the soil is relatively dry. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the soil at the deadman anchors are a medium dense sand.

Ground water will never be there? I've seen this sort of thing and, at times of temporary high water due to big storm, the wind also is strong and down she comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back