Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deaerator temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethw

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2003
US
Our plant has a DA that is maintained at 5 lbs. It is supplied by steam from a prv. The steam pressure before the prv is 85 lbs. If I remember my basic thermo right, because this steam comes through a prv, it is superheated when it is reduced to the 5 lbs. Using what I remember about the adiabatic throttling process, the temperature of this steam after the prv should be around 290 degF, in a perfect world. So the steam entering the DA should be at about the same temp, right? So why is the temp of the DA and the condensate leaving it only at the saturation temp of 5 lbs (about 230F)? Has the "extra" enthalpy gone into the water requiring less steam usage?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This must be because there is no such thing as superheated water. Any "extra" entalpy above the saturation temp. would be used to heat the condensate up to saturation? Sounds like an extra effiecent way to deaerate. Bethw

bethw,
You are most unlikely to have fully saturated water entering the deaerator (though it may be very close). A little extra enthalpy in the steam is no problem. It can be absorbed into slightly subcooled water or it can even go towards vaporizing a small amount of saturated water to reduce the steam requirement. My suggestion is to not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back