Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dealer claims "low press N2 is new trend" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmm1

Industrial
Mar 14, 2011
US
In looking at new and used machines we recently had a dealer with a laser background make the following claim. "High press nitrogen is old school, with todays high purity N2 and advanced nozzels its not needed in a machine." Is there some new process/method that this applies to? I think it is BS. To boot they have a low press piped machine (130psi) they are pushing. Small wonder.

Our apps would include .5" & .6" 304 SS

Any advice or knowledge on this "new process" would be appreciated. Thank you zmm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe he means in the tires of your car ;-)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Maybe they use like a 6 mm nozzle? Who knows, never heard of low press n2 cutting. Have him cut some thick parts with a reasonable shape and see what happens, my guess is nothing good. I've seen as low as 7 bar on some thin stainless with good results but I can't see it on the thickness you mention.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Maybe he should sell used cars. I called his servce guy today, he said "what" ? Owner called a time later with a ah ah ah what meant was....etc. Fast talk no content. Thnaks for the replies fella's !!!

Look into Laval nozzles it is a venturi type nozzle. The shape causes a increase in velocity which causes an pressure increase at the work piece. I have tried them however the process window cutting with these types of nozzles is very small. You can get approx a 30% increase in force however the standoff distance is a factor.

if you're still looking for used machines tell me which kind and maybe I'll be able to help you if it fits what my people gets. Anyway about your question I would be very careful about this kind of arguments, I've never heard about low press cutting, and if he's pushing his machine according to his argument I think it's clear, he just want to sell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back