Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dear all, I m new in eng tips and

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigione

Industrial
May 25, 2016
IT
Dear all,
I m new in eng tips and I need this kind of information: I have to design some branch on one header, we normally deal with small headers (6-8-10-12 inch) and small thickness (std and XS).
Now I have to joint 1" branches (thck XS) with an header 8", sch 120. My collegue told me that there is maximum ratio between header thickness and branch thickness that has to be welded on, but in ASME VIII div.1 I don't find nothing about.
Do someone know something about it and address me to ASME relevant chapter.
Many thanks in advance
Gigione

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since youre talking about a header and a branch, Im assuming youre talking piping, which would typically be B31.3 (or B31.1). Therefore your reference to VIII-1 doesnt make sense, I think you looking in the wrong direction. Review 304.3.2 of B31.3, directions are in there.

ASME does not have any limitations on nozzle thickness vs. shell thickness.

Sometimes you'll find requirements like that in customer specifications. When it comes to cyclic service in particular, I have seen requirements such as "neck thickness not to exceed 2x shell thickness", which tends to reduce peak stresses in the joint. But again, this is not an ASME requirement.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back