Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debarking machine for small diameter shrub 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahamaman

Electrical
Sep 6, 2002
US
I'm investigating whether there exists a machine that can remove the bark from a shrub (1" - 3" diameter) without destroying the bark. The goal of the research I'm doing is to find a way to remove the bark of a tree for its medicinal use, but with minimal shredding/chipping. All the debarking machinery I've been able to find so far have been intended for the logging industry and hence unsuitable, primarily because of the small diameter here. The present method employed for removing the bark has been to soak it in water for a few days and then to remove it by beating it with a mallet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would be too labor-intensive given the large number of small trees that would be "harvested" for this purpose (100/day?). I'm looking for a process that is automated and low-cost. Thanks for the response though.

I need a little more clarification, do you need a machine that can handle the smaller limbs or is the size of the removed bark the problem? (or both?) Are you only interested with part of the bark? Can you tolerate any "contamination" with wood pulp?

I do not know of anything suitable for your usage, but I imagine something could be made. I would start with a set of pinch rollers feeding the limb into the de-barking stage. Two de-barking stategies that I can think of off the top of my head include a wide chain (multiple rows of roller chain) or steel wheels with bits.

Thanks for the high pressure water jet idea <jbthiel>. That sounds like it may hold some potential. I think if the shrub were soaked to sufficiently loosen the bark, the high water pressure may be able to remove it.

I need a machine that can handle small limbs/trunk. Size of bark is not a problem, larger strips are preferred. Minor contamination with wood is tolerable.

I have not been able to find a conventional machine that would be applicable for a shrub with such a small diameter (1&quot; - 3&quot;), so a custom-designed apparatus may be the only mechanical solution. Do you have any knowledge about where to start along that path?

Try the Publisher of Forest Products Equipment. (Jim Kendrick) Website is
Fence posts are commonly this small, so the system must already exist to render the small diameter debarking necessary.

Couldn’t you just feed the whole tree and everything through a chipper and sort it out latter via some sort of settling, filtering methods and decanting?

onereggie,
There exists a tool for cutting kernels of sweet corn from the cob. It is similar to a wood plane used for cutting radiused moldings. The corn cutter cuts a lengthwise strip from the cob and the cob is rotated to make another pass. For your application,you could arrange several around the diameter and allow them to float to compensate for the taper.
Gotta run but google ammerican corn cutter & molding planes
to get a general idea of the concept.

Griffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back