Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Debugging subroutines (ABAQUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.alshamsi

Civil/Environmental
Sep 29, 2020
AE
Hey all,

Does anybody know how to debug abaqus subroutines using breakpoints rather than relying on the .msg/.log file? I have a relatively long VUEL subroutine and when I try to test it I get a segmentation fault error which can basically mean anything.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can perform such debugging if you have some third-party debugger installed on your machine. Then you have to add, among others, the -debug parameter and debuggers name to the job submission command. Details are described in the Dassault Systemes Knowledge Base article QA00000007986 ("Debugging user subroutines and post processing programs").

Do you by any chance have a direct link to that article? I tried searching online and on the dassault knowledge base and couldn't find anything. This sounds like exactly what I need right now.

To access this article you will need a customer account on the Dassault Systemes portal. Then search for their Knowledge Base, log in and locate the article.

A very similar instruction for subroutine debugging is provided in the book titled "Troubleshooting Finite-Element Modeling with Abaqus" by R.J. Boulbes.

Many years ago, I had posted instructions on how to connect Visual Studio with a Fortran code for Abaqus in a PolymerFEM forum (what worked for me at the time, anyway). Then others improved upon it. Here is one such thread. And yes, I managed to do the sort of debugging you want to do. You have to be sure your Visual Studio, Intel Fortran Compiler and Abaqus versions are compatible and are installed in the right order.

Unless you haven't already used it, here is one trick that could come in handy in debugging your code with breakpoints etc. independent of Abaqus altogether. Such an approach has limitations but it allows enhanced control/flexibility/.. as well. So, to the trick: You could simply write a Fortran subroutine that provides all the arrays your VUEL subroutine expects. With this simple trick, you can run your code in any Fortran compiler.

I must admit: I have neither used Abaqus nor coded subroutines in a very long time so the trick may be useless.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back