Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deck Leger to an Old Brick Wall

JohnnyB_

Structural
Feb 1, 2022
US
Hello -

I am designing a small deck to replace a dilapidated deck on an old historical brick building. I am assuming the brick building is at least stacked two bricks wide. I am using P.T. joists and ledger with a steel drop beam to support the deck.

My issue is how to attach the deck ledger to the old brick. I am throwing around attaching it at 8" O.C. using 1/2" bolts embedded 8" and epoxied but I am curious if there is a more standard way to attach the ledger.

I have attached a screenshot of the plan design and ledger connection detail that I would like to use.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dfdb3677-999d-4b91-a267-d3f24de32513&file=24101_Deck_Plan.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What epoxy are you using? Is it rated for solid, multi-wythe brick masonry? What's the minimum spacing per the manufacturer? What is the capacity of a single anchor? Do you need to reduce that for being above minimum spacing but below the spacing that allows for use of the full capacity of the anchor? What's the load on the deck? If you can answer all of those, you probably have the answer to your question.

phamENG:
Thank you for your input. I am using epoxy rated for the brick. I am not sure what is the minimum spacing per the manufacturer is that you are recommending, I assume I am here to calculate this minimum spacing. Based on standard deck loading (D=20psf L=60psf) each 1/2" bolt has about 160 lbs per bolt. This translates to 40psi if I use the full bolt length as the bearing area, which is highly unlikely due to the asymmetric loading of the bolt. There will likely be a stress concentration which is greatest where the brick and ledger meet and this is what I am concerned about.

SWComposites:
Thank you for your input. I thought about this as well but I am not sure if there is access to the inside of the brick at this location. I will likely recommend it be constructed with thru-bolts and a plate on the backside unless it is not feasible. Then I am back to the question I have asked here.

I think there are several products you can use to attach ledger to solid bricks. You can use epoxy, chemical or anchor sleeve. The tricky one is when you are trying to attach it to brick veneer (framed wall).

The epoxy supplier's literature will likely indicate a minimum spacing at a significantly reduced capacity, and a spacing at which you can use full capacity, and if you end up between those spacings for your design you can usually interpolate the reduction. So yes, you determine what spacing you need anchors, but that has a few different constraints:
- Minimum anchor spacing
- Anchor capacity versus applied loads
- Ledger capacity to span between anchors
- Feel good spacing.

Back