Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Decorative Finish on Shotcrete/Soil Nail Wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustus50

Geotechnical
Jul 31, 2008
US
We are apparent low bidder for a temporary shotcrete/soil nail wall that is being used to provide shoring/room for a permanent mse wall. The owner / gc are looking for a value engineering proposal to replace the temporary shoring/mse wall with a permanent shotcrete/soil nail wall with a decorative or other type of acceptable finish for the shotcrete.

Does anyone have experience with this??

By the way, on my other thread regarding bent bars, we performed load tests on # 6 bars with a 24 inch bend- covered both sides with typical mesh and 2 inch shotcrete. The tests, in which we made sure all load went to the shotcrete face, reached the ultimate capacity of the bars.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recall a shotcrete wall in Glenwood Canyon? stained to match soil layers. Schnabel has float finished several. I don't think you could delay set enough to get creative with scribing patterns without having to delay set so much slumping might be problem.

similar walls have been done in Arizona on the Beeline highway and I believe it may have been done with shotcrete. They are carved and stained to resemble natural rock outcrops.

I recently did a shotcrete wall that was colored but with natural gun finish. I believe they broadcast powdered dye over the still wet shotcrete surface and made it blend in with the native soil.

Most of the shotcrete walls that I have seen are hidden by a cast in place conventional wall with formliners to cover the shotcrete wall underneath.

There are also design details you could use to tie in most segemtnal block walls to your soil nail wall. If that interests you I could post the detail here.

I would also be interested in any connection details for soil nail wallS. Over many years, there have been no connection details that I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back