Decorative glass in steel frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy78

Civil/Environmental
Nov 17, 2020
SA
Hi everyone,
I am newbie in this forum and want opinion of expert guys here. I have one decorative glass 3.6m high and 2.6m wide with silicone joint at 1.3m fitted in a U shaped SS frame having web depth of 40mm and 15mm flange width at basement level of building. The contractor says that since it is resting on the ground so connection of frame from the top and sides is not important (as from sides the frame is bolted with drywall frame and from the top hanging with some hangers). The minimum wind pressure as per UBC 1607.13 of 5psf is applied and analysed along with accidental impact load of 45 kg/m2. My question is will this system will gonna work without going in detail for side and top connections.
(Pics attached for clarification)
Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8039dfc0-c46f-415f-b866-b20461060579&file=1.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some thoughts

a) Important that an appropriate safety glass of some sort (tempered and/or laminated) be used, and it have adequate capacity to support the loads you've mentioned - and be aware that the process to create "decorative" glass could have a negative influence on the capacity
b) While the gravity may not be an issue, some type of appropriate detailing should be done to ensure the glass just doesn't fall over, either through failure or disengagement of the connection. I would expect that this piece could weigh over 600 lbs., and it falling over unexpectedly would be a huge problem.

Valid points raised, I must say. Though the analysis has been done using SAP2000 for the gravity and lateral loads, my concern is that the glass is just fitted in the 40mm frame with 5mm silicon placed between glass and frame. the remaining 35mm bearing from all sides would be good enough for the glass not to fall over ? (Pic of frame attached)

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a3cc8290-df47-41d6-9a5f-7ef8ab9dcc43&file=2.jpeg
If you're getting 35mm of overlap, that's probably enough to keep your glass from disengaging due to deflection. I disagree with the contractor that designing the perimeter frame isnt important, because the wind loads/barrier loads will be transferred to the frame. The construction is only as strong as its weakest link.

I also want to second what jjl317 said about using a safety glass and considerring the negative effects of decorative glass finishes. Here in the UK, we use BS EN 16612 for this. I've attached the relavent table below:

Table_6_ra9ngy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back