Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deep battery Calculation for wind Turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickel1011

Industrial
Feb 14, 2014
HI Guys,
I have to install a wind turbine of 2kW designed for 48Vdc.However I want to know how to calculate the capacity of the 12v deep battery
cycles I need. Thanking you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you have no load, you don't really need a battery - or the wind turbine for that matter.

(The required battery capacity depends on your loads and the duty cycle.) You have not provided anywhere near enough information.

If your location might have calm weather (little wind) for weeks and weeks and weeks, then you''ll need a million-billion A-hr.

Can you provide more background and your assumptions?

A 2 KW wind turbine sounds like a lot, but my little gas generator is 5.6 KW.

Is this serious, or a "home project" or just a demo or something for a off-the-grid use?

Pretend you know the intended loads? How serious are you about power?
Can you get by safely with none for several days until the wind starts back up?
Or are you delivering babies by candlelight in a blizzard without the wind turbine?

This is a project for technical school.The wind turbine will be used feed the gymnasium.Assuming the monthly consumption is approximately 200kWh.Please advise

"This is a project for technical school."

A professional project for a client that just happens to a technical school? Or a school project as in assignment?

A 2 KW wind turbine may only produce 400W in decent winds. Since this is a facility you would be better off using grid tie converter. Batteries should be avoided at all costs. You should go to fieldlines.com forum for RE help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back